15 minutes preparation, plus 1 hour cooking time. For other options see Top Tips below
You will need:
600g minced lamb, £3.50/600g
100g frozen chopped onion £1.00/500g
500g potatoes, chopped into chunks 69p/kg
100g frozen mixed vegetables 75p/1kg
3 heaped dessertspoons onion gravy powder £1.50/200g
2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs 19p/18g
cube frozen crushed garlic £1.27/80g
water to cover
88p per serving
1. Put the onions and mince into a stockpot and heat over a low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent the mince from clumping.
2. Once the mince has browned, add the potatoes, vegetables, onion gravy powder, dried mixed herbs, garlic and a sprinkling of pepper, to taste.
3. Cover with water until the ingredients are submerged by about 2cm.
4. Stir and bring to the boil*
5. Simmer gently for one hour.
*To save energy, you can transfer the mixture to a slow cooker instead of bringing to the boil. Cook for 6 to 8 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high.
*Alternatively, leave the gas ring or electric ring on its lowest setting and gradually let it come to the boil. This uses less energy than bringing it to the boil over a high heat, but will take longer. Once simmering (bubbling gently) the pot can be left to cook for one hour.