2 packets ready-made puff pastry (dairy free)
1 tin potatoes, drained and crushed (not mashed)
3 red onions, finely chopped
2 dessert apples, chopped
100ml red wine
300g grated cheese (or vegan alternative)
1 egg, beaten (you can use soya or almond milk instead)
Handful fresh thyme, chopped
Handful fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tbsp oil
1. Put oil in pan over medium heat.
2. Add red onion and apple.
3. When the onion is translucent add the red wine and potato.
4. Heat through for 5 minutes and then remove from the heat and set to one side.
5. In a roasting tin or baking tray, roll out one of the pastry pieces. Do the same with the second piece of pastry in a second tin.
6. Place half the onion mixture onto one half of one of the pieces of pastry. Do the same with the second half of the mixture onto the second piece of pastry.
7. Sprinkle half the cheese over one and half over the other.
8. Sprinkle half the thyme and rosemary over each.
9. Brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg and fold the pastry over to make large parcels. Press the edges together all the way round.
10. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C (fan), 200°C (no fan), for 30 minutes or until risen and golden.
11 . Serve slices of ‘pie’ with baked beans and a green salad.